Evidence

The Bell and Pad is a behavioural treatment which has been used for decades to treat enuresis and is supported as a natural treatment option in countless scientific studies.  A significant recent clinical research audit 'Enuresis management in Australian children - A retrospective review of 3,512 treatments with bell and pad alarm' was published in the Journal of Paediatrics in 2017. 

 

The aim of the study was to establish the treatment efficacy of practitioner-assisted bell-and-pad alarm therapy in children with enuresis between the ages of 5 and 16 years by retrospective medical chart review within a variety of clinical settings.  The study supports the treatment efficacy of children with the practitioner assisted Ramsey Coote bell and pad system.  Total cure rate was defined as children maintaining a dry bed for a minimum of 14 consecutive nights.  Results revealed an overall success rate of  of 77% (incorporating nurse practitioners and psychologists as treating practitioners).  The success rate of the particular clinic using psychologists as the treating practitioners in this study was 92%.  This indicates that when treated by psychologists using the practitioner assisted bell and pad approach - 92% of children were dry! 

 

No significant differences were found by age or by gender. Those with secondary enuresis (a period of dryness of 6 months or more prior to recommending wetting) were more likely to be successful. Children with concurrent bowel dysfunction were associated with only a slightly lower success rate (74%).  Children with concurrent lower urinary tract symptoms were more likely to relapse.    

Dry Time Kids clinic data was compiled revealing 92% of those who commenced treatment completed the treatment and obtained dryness.  The remaining 8% consisted of children who had to discontinue for various reasons and a couple of children who improved but did not meet the criteria of 14 consecutive dry nights.    

More information coming soon.  

Study conducted by Apos, Schuster, Reece, Whitaker, Murphy, Golder, Leiper, Sullivan and Gibbs (2017).  

Find Us:

Cheltenham, VIC 3192

Call Us:

0413 255 451